Traffic jam, is a condition where there is increase in transport congestions and vehicles takes more time to move and start lining up. This increases the waiting time in the queue and slow moving of vehicles, which in turn leads to time delay. The most important reason of Traffic jam is increase in vehicles in each and every home. In addition to this, most people prefer road trips in personal vehicles, when compared to other modes of transport. Due to this reason, the movement of vehicles is completely stopped for a particular period of time causing ‘Traffic Jam’.
Causes of Traffic Jam
The main cause of traffic jam if increase in the number of vehicles and the minimal availability of street capacity. Once the street capacity has reached a saturation point, the condition may lead to traffic. Traffic jam also occurs due to reasons like accidents, road work or due to damaged road. In addition to that, the climatic changes like raining and snowing, is also the reason for traffic congestion. In India, traffic jams are also caused due to toll gates, in which each vehicle spends a specific amount of time for making payment and receiving the toll receipts.
Now a days, in many places they are also constructing enormous structures like flyover, in order to manage the upcoming traffic congestion. Until the completion of these flyovers, the roadways are blocked and traffic is diverted leading to unexpected congestion during day time. And also, now a days, unlicensed vehicles and unlicensed drivers have increased in number, due to economical upgrade, which leads to number of vehicles on road than expected, causing congestion. Another main cause of traffic jam is rash drivers, people who are not obeying the traffic signals and shops who are extending their parking space blocking the road area.
Disadvantages of Traffic Jam
There are many disadvantages of traffic jam and few are as follows:
- Waste of time is considered as the main disadvantage of traffic jam, since most people waste their most precious time in traffic congestion.
- Time delay, which may lead to late arrival in meetings, in reporting in school, interview or business proportions which may lead to loss in business or disciplinary actions etc.
- Wastage of fuel and the increase in pollution is also a main disadvantage of traffic jam. This also increases the current temperature of our cities.
- During emergency time, when the road is blocked we may face many difficulties.
- Increased chance of collision and accidents, due to tight spacing of vehicles and slow moving vehicles.
Traffic Jam Corrective measures
If everyone can follows the below steps, there is a chance of reducing the traffic jam:
- Usage of public transport.
- Following the road rules
- Road re-work can be done at night times.
- Parking before the shops can be avoided.
- Vehicles using the dedicated lanes for their vehicles.
- Reducing the speed limit, avoids accidents and traffic tends to reduce as well.
All the citizens must follow the rules and regulation, in order to reduce the traffic in future.