Muharram, is the second holiest month in the Muslim calendar, following Ramadan and the first month of the Islamic calendar. This festival is celebrated on different dates each year, since Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar. The literal meaning of Muharram is ‘Forbidden’. Tenth day of Muharram is considered to be the ‘Day of Ashura’, which according to the Shia Muslims is ‘Mourning of Muharram’. Shia Muslims, do different things, with varied intentions during this day. They also refrain from participating in joyous events in remembrance of Hussein ibn Ali, grandson of Muhammad, who lost his life in the Battle of Karbala.
Since the Muharram is celebrated according to their lunar calendar, the dates tend to change, when compared to the Gregorian calendar. This year Muharram is starting from September 21, 2017 and ends on October 20, 2017. The tenth day of Muharram is considered to be the ‘Day of Ashura’, where Ashura literally means the ‘Tenth’, in Arabic.
Remarkable Incidents during Muharram:
Many notable incidents happened during the month of Muharram. They are as follows:
- Day 01 of Muharram: Death anniversary of Hazrat Ammasaheb Bibi Habiba Qadri
Seizure of the Grand Mosque
- Day 02 of Muharram: Hussein ibn Ali enters Karbala and sets up camp. Yazid’s forces are present.
- Day 07 of Muharram: Access of water was banned to Hussein due to orders from Yazid
- Day 10 of Muharram: Day of Ashura, Hussein ibn Ali lost his life in Battle of Karbala
- Day 15 of Muharram: Birth of Muhammad Sirajuddin Naqshbandi
- Day 25 of Muharram: Fourth Shia Imam lost his life
- Day 27 of Muharram: Maytham al-Tammar lost his life
- Day 28 of Muharram: Death anniversary of Urs of Ashraf Jahangir Semnani
The Shia muslims, organise Majalis, assemblies that are held every day during the first nine days of the Muharram and events related to the precious life lost during the Battle of Karbala are remembered. On the tenth day of Muharram, they express their sorrows and briefs by inflicting wounds on their bodies in remembrance of the martyred soldiers during the battle.
Even though, this is one of the special occasion in Muslim community, they take this opportunity in order to remember the saddest part of their history. This is considered to be the festival of mourning which includes many formalities in various communities of Muslim.